1.05.2011

Magicians Hat & Cape Tutorial Part 1

For those of you who follow the blog competition, So You Think You're Crafty, may have seen some of my entries in season 3. I didn't get around to posting tutorials for everything I made for each round and then I couldn't find the photos. Me, the photographer, couldn't find the photos. Yikes! I guess I keep better track of my clients photos than my own (maybe that's not a bad thing). Well, I finally found some of them.

So, here is the Magicians Cape Tutorial

CAPE

Materials needed:
String
Measuring Tape
Chalk or marking pen
one Eye Hook (or use string or velcro)
2.5 yards of red satin (I just used costume satin)
2.5 yards of black satin
Thread
sewing machine



I have made lots of superhero capes before, but this one is a bit different. Instead of attaching around the neck and draping over the back, I needed to make one that would drape over the shoulders so it could be twirled around for magic tricks.

There is a bit of math involved, but once you get past that (if you hate math, like I do), it really is pretty easy!


1. Measurements
Measure from the base of the neck or just below it, to the ankles or the length you would like it to be. This is the length of your cloak. My measurement was 36" for my 6 year old.

I used a measurement of 4" for my sons neck. I suggest you make it 4.5" - 5". 6 is what is used for adults and it is far too big for a child.


Now cut two pieces of string for each of those measurements. Make sure to use something that does not stretch.

2. Fold the fabric.

Fold your fabric in half once with raw edges together.

3. Mark your fabric.

With someone's help (in this case my husband FOOT!), have them hold (or stand on) one end of the string in one of your folded corners.


With the other hand securely attached to your chalk or marking pen (in this case my daughters sidewalk chalk), make a quarter circle. Then cut along this line.


Now, in the same corner that your helper held the last string, hold the shorter string and make a smaller quarter circle.

4. Cut the fabric.

Cut on both of your chalk lines.
The red is the lining for the cape.

5. Now, repeat with the other piece of fabric.

6. Sew

With right sides together, sew all of your edges EXCEPT the neck hole.
Set this aside.

7. Make the Collar.

I simply laid out the cloak flat over the top of a piece of the black sating. I traced and cut the neck opening. I cut another half circle to make a 5" wide collar. I angled the edges instead of making them straight. I didn't want them to be flush with the cloak. (see the above photo)
Trace and cut another collar piece out of the other fabric.

8. Sew the collar.

With right sides together, sew the collar, leaving the smaller circle open.

9. Press.

Turn the collar right side out and press.

10. Baste.

Baste the neck hole closed.

11. Attach the collar.

Slip the Collar into the neck hole of the cloak and top stitch. Take your time on this part.
12. Closure.
Add your hook and Eye closure just below the collar.
ENJOY!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for your tutorial. i think i may have messed up the collar but at this late hour I just improvised and hope that the 4year old won't notice ;-) This is to be included with a magic wand and hat for Christmas. Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Wish I could add a photo, but my cape turned out fantastic! Thanks for your clear simple intstructions. I added secret pockets in the lining and his some gold chocolate coins for his magic tricks!

Unknown said...

Wish I could add a photo, but my cape turned out fantastic! Thanks for your clear simple intstructions. I added secret pockets in the lining and his some gold chocolate coins for his magic tricks!

Prof54 said...

Excellent information, you state that you used 4" for the neck, is that the diameter?
Thank you

Unknown said...

Question about the fabric folding. When you draw your neck and hem is the fabric two ply or 4 ply? Thank you